>

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I think I might be a mean mom!

For the past few nights Avery has practically refused to eat dinner, which is probably partially my fault. So, I evaluated her daily eating habits; what she eats for breakfast, lunch, snacks, and I decided, it's no wonder the little monkey doesn't want to eat dinner! It's normal food! So I've made some adjustments to her daily intake and still, she refused and so we told her she can't get down from the table until she eats some. She sat there for an hour two nights in a row! So, on to the next mean demand. I told her if she didn't eat some dinner, she would have to have it for breakfast. Well, here's the thing, I'm not a made to order chef and neither was my mom and I'm grateful to her for that. She made a variety of things for dinner and if we didn't eat, we went to bed hungry. I'm glad because now, I am not a picky eater, and I will eat just about anything (within reason.) Well, the next morning, I heated up her Ginger, sesame chicken with rice and veggies and placed it on the counter for breakfast. She flipped out! (Of course I wasn't really going to make her eat it. I just wanted her to think I was.)  It sat there for about 40 minutes and of course she didn't touch it. So she and I had a conversation about not eating dinner and she promised she would start. I tossed the nasty chicken out and poured her a bowl of cereal. I kid you not, she was thrilled to eat her dinner that night, which was spaghetti, nothing strange. Then she said, "yay, I get to have breastess in the morning!" ha ha, that's how she says it. Anyway, I kind of felt like a mean mom, but I won't have a picky kid who wastes food and thinks all her meals should be fried cheese or chicken nuggets. Might have been a little extreme but worked like a charm!

4 comments:

Unguren said...

I don't think that is mean. I think it is sad when there are 30 year old people that have never tried normal things because their parents didn't care.

Lindsey said...

I don't think you are mean at all. Brendan is the worst at our house, he goes without dinner almost every night. I won't cook him anything else and he chooses to go hungry. I just keep hoping one day he will get over it. I have even tried giving it to him for breakfast too, but he still doesn't eat. So we just let him go hungry. I guess I am the mean one.

Amanda said...

I am going to try that!!! My kids just go to bed hungry...I think they are just becoming immune to it or anorexic...lol :)

Jaime Lynne said...

This is not mean... this is parenting. And I applaud you for doing it. We need more people parenting and less parents worried about being nice and friendly with their kids.

Keep it up!

Erik and Savannah

Erik and Savannah
We are cheesy!!

us again!

us again!